As an integral part of the A.S. Watson Group Legal Team, reporting to the Group General Counsel, the Senior Group Legal Counsel has responsibility for various corporate and commercial matters across the A.S. Watson Group. The remit is global, covering A.S. Watson's businesses across Europe and Asia. A.S. Watson is an O+O retailer and as such, the legal team must be competent to advise in the context of deployment of technology, digital transformation, retail and distribution.
The Senior Group Legal Counsel is responsible for corporate and commercial matters within the A. S. Watson Group, including M&A, structuring, financing, and Group lead strategic commercial projects. The commercial project aspects of the role demand that the successful candidate has an excellent understanding of operational, as well as corporate matters within the A. S. Watson Group, superb project management skills and the drive to see projects through to completion. This exciting aspect of the role is also highly demanding, requiring an ability to apply fresh and innovative thinking to innovative business models.
In addition, the successful candidate will play a key role in managing and supporting in-country counsel in various jurisdictions in which the Group operates. This involves supervising and providing guidance on significant operational matters, as well as enforcing Group policy and driving excellence across the teams. The successful candidate will need to develop an awareness of the legal framework within which our local counsel operate and be able to support and advise within the scope of that framework, whilst ensuring consistent application of Group policies and standards.
The successful candidate will be highly commercial in approach, used to executing cross border transactions and operating in an international environment. The Senior Group Legal Counsel must be able to manage stakeholders at all levels and across different jurisdictions with sensitivity and credibility, as well as being committed to driving all matters to timely completion.
As technology and digital innovation plays an increasingly important role in both the delivery of legal services and the growth of our business globally, the successful candidate must be willing to embrace and harness technology in the workplace and experience in advising on IT related projects would be advantageous.
As a senior leader within the Legal Team, the successful candidate will be happy to take part in and lead team initiatives and is expected to encourage, support and develop other team members to reach their full potential.KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Strategic Projects
- Commercial contracts
- Ad-hoc commercial advisory support to business units and local legal teams
- Bachelor's degree and legally qualified from an accredited university / college
- At least 10+ years PQE with international law firm or in-house multinational
- Solid experience of dealing with corporate and commercial matters, gained in an international environment
- Retail or FMCG experience advantageous
- IT advisory and negotiation experience advantageous
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a creative thinker
- Practical, commercially astute
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work across the organisation at all levels and geographical locations
- Technology literate
- Enthusiastic, dynamic and inspiring style
- Able to works independently but contributes to the team
- Culturally sensitive
- Fluent written and oral skills in both English and Chinese
Watson House,1-5 Wo Liu Hang Road,Fo Tan,Shatin NT Hong Kong