Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions-including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance-to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power.
On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
At SNC-Lavalin's Engineering, Design and Project Management (EDPM) sector, we plan, design and enable the delivery of complex projects across transportation, energy and infrastructure. Our deep technical expertise combined with broad multidisciplinary capability can be scaled from niche mandates to mega projects. We are especially focused on accelerating the creation of additional value to our clients by harnessing data and digital technology to better design, deliver and manage the built environment for a decarbonized, climate resilient future.
In EDPM Asia Pacific we have over1,250 employees spread across multiple locations including Hong Kong, China, Australia and Southeast Asia.
The position of Design & Engineering Services Director, based in Hong Kong, is a key leadership position in EDPM Asia Pacific business and reports to the Managing Director of Asia. The role will require collaborative partnering with the various SNCL EDPM /Atkins business leaders globally.
The incumbent will play a key role in representing the company externally with clients and leading strategic business development efforts, program management and project delivery initiatives for our design & engineering business portfolio. These include but are not limited to commercial, industrial and large government projects across Asia region.
The incumbent will ensure that the design & engineering business is future ready, poised to respond to changing market dynamics, with any ability to adopt new technical skills or technology (digital engineering, automation etc).
A key success factor for this role will be to deliver the operating profits for the business, by creating value, through market penetration, winning work, stakeholder management and effective management of budget, cost, quality, time and resources.
The Job Scope
This role requires an experienced, commercial professional, currently holding a leadership position either from the same industry or with experience in a related industry working in Asia.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
• Lead and grow the Design & Engineering business in Asia to deliver operating profit
• targets (EBIT), being accountable for budget and financial targets;
• Actively develop and foster key client relationships, strategically capitalise on any
opportunity to establish new relationships and support existing relationships with clients to achieve business success;
• Develop and execute sales strategy, division and market growth plans and personally oversee the execution of profitable new business;
• Ensure effective client management, especially with respect to relationship
management, project management, problem solving, seeking new prospects and commercial management;
• Ensure successful project delivery, overseeing all areas of project budgets, schedules
and resource utilization, with a strong focus on quality;
• Establish competitive advantage by favourably networking with industry leaders,
government agencies, external engineering networks to reinforce the SNC-Land
• Atkins presence and leverage appropriate opportunities;
• Contribute to the development and achievement of company strategy;
• Drive digital innovation and digital design delivery capability to meet current and future business strategies;
• Mentor and provide direction and guidance as an ongoing process to help develop
high performing teams;
• Provide management, technical and strategic guidance to teams within the design and
• Be an advocate and role model of our corporate values, ethics and governance
guidelines; build a strong and robust safety culture;
• Encourage and ensure a positive, diverse and productive work culture that attracts and retains the right talent.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
• Engineering degree or equivalent professional qualification with over 20 years of
experience, with at least 10 years being present in Asia, engaged in large design &
• Strong industry network with good knowledge and experience of regional markets,
with strong track record of building credible relationships at C-suite level;
• Strategic player with broad commercial vision, customer focus, combined with a
hands-on approach and detail-orientation;
• Experience in a matrix, multinational organization with or without direct P&L
responsibility (circa CAD 50-100 million or above);
• Strong track record in winning and delivering large multi-disciplinary projects;
• Possess excellent networking and ability to collaborate with and influence key stakeholders;
• Experienced, driven and inspirational leader who can to lead large teams, mentor
senior leaders towards high performance and success;
• Strong communication skills; good understanding of cross-cultural sensitivity is
• Self-motivated and results driven, with the ability to be flexible and adaptable during
• A balanced and positive attitude.