Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global leader in pressure-sensitive and functional materials and labeling solutions for the retail apparel market. The company’s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 25,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers in the consumer packaging, graphical display, logistics, apparel, industrial and healthcare industries. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company reported sales of $6.1 billion in 2016. Learn more at www.averydennison.com . Job DescriptionPosition Overview
The Market Segment Director will be responsible for providing leadership, direction, and management for the Performance Tapes global electronics segment. The successful candidate will set the overarching strategy and define detailed plans to drive profitable growth across the segment. This position reports to the VP, Global Marketing, and oversees a team of business development professionals. Critical Objectives & Outcomes
QualificationsRequirements and Prior Experience
- The development of clearly articulated value propositions and product positioning for electronics tape application areas.
- Building detailed business cases and commercialization paths.
- Establishing strong relationships throughout the value chain – OEM’s, ODM’s, converters and distributors.
- Targeting the leading OEM’s across all electronics applications and building strong relationships which support a “seat at the table” for Performance Tapes.
- Building a strong pipeline of opportunities which align with the defined technology platforms that have been identified as presenting a key point of differentiation and addressing a value to the OEM.
- Support the process of technology transfer and scale up from one region to another to ensure consistent and timely product availability.
- Providing technical teams with detailed written business requirements that are traced to voice of the customer and evidenced market driven insights.
- Price setting and margin management to ensure consistency and delivering on defined profitability.
- Giving visibility to operations on customer requirements for production locations aligned with their manufacturing strategies.
- Collaborating with business development in the identification of new applications.
- Building deep knowledge of the competitive environment; trends, products, technologies, regulations and competitors.
- Working closely with other Avery Dennison businesses engaged in electronics to leverage channel access and develop a cohesive approach to the market.
- Working closely with the Marketing Communications Manager, develop strong and clear positioning of Performance Tapes towards the electronics industry.
- Create consistent marketing materials through print and digital media.
- Creation of selling tools for sales, including customer facing presentations.
- Building awareness and recognition of Performance Tapes in a thought leadership position through publication of white papers, industry conference speaking, trade association engagement.
- Operate within a matrix organization and provide direction to the electronic segment management functions within the regions. These roles have a strong dotted line reporting to the global market segment director, but report directly in the regions.
- Participate as member of the broader marketing leadership team for Performance Tapes, alongside the regional marketing directors and global communications leads.
- 10 years experience within a marketing / commercial function.
- A track record within the consumer electronics industry with clear knowledge of the market, technologies, players and channels.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, economics, engineering, or related field required. MBA or equivalent preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a Business, Engineering or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ability to operate within a matrix organization, leading through strategy and influence.
- Strong experience in strategic leadership needed, international exposure preferred.
- Demonstrated success in cross-regional projects or initiatives.
- Strong experience negotiating large/major contracts.
- Advanced business and financial acumen needed.
- Experience in planning & forecasting, with practical experience in researching new opportunities and implementing successful account penetration.
- Must be able to champion new business ventures. This will require excellent organizational and people skills, project management skills, with an ability to openly convey information to team members in a timely, concise manner.
- Experience in strategic leadership and negotiation.
- Understanding of applicable computer systems, such as Microsoft Office, Google Apps, CRM platforms e.g. Salesforce, and other function specific software.
- Excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.