Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global leader in pressure-sensitive and functional materials and labeling solutions for the retail apparel market. The company's applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 25,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers in the consumer packaging, graphical display, logistics, apparel, industrial and healthcare industries. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company reported sales of $6.1 billion in 2016. Learn more at www.averydennison.com
This position leads the product development team for the Industrial tapes business located in Kunshan, China. Through the Stagegate process, drive execution of development efforts focused on growth (new products from new & existing platforms), cost reduction and product quality improvements. Coaches and develops the technology team and is a role model who consistently demonstrates Avery Dennison’s values and ethics.
The R&D Manager actively participates with the Regional Leadership team in aligning R&D activities to achieve regional business goals. Sets priorities as agreed with the regional marketing leader and deploys technology resources to achieve business goals. In addition, the R&D Manager is the owner of the regional NPI/QTM portfolio and is responsible for the delivery of the regional NPI sales revenue.
Support the growth of the business through:
· Delivering leading edge customer & market solutions allowing for a sustainable long term competitive advantage.
· Expanding the technology available for product development working with suppliers and Performance Tapes worldwide.
· Participates in the IP strategy for the division and leads the team to consistently contribute and build the Industrial IP portfolio.
Collaborates strongly with customers and suppliers R&D teams cultivating and extending profitable relationships.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
• Provide technical leadership to the regional business team and provides a technically challenging work-place environment for the Kunshan-based R&D team, establishing strategies and goals aligned to those of the business and the divisional technology leaders.
• Lead a technology team responsible for the design, execution, and analysis of product and process development experiments and product performance trials, working with marketing, manufacturing, sales and technical service departments.
• Oversee Stagegate process to ensure projects are accepted with the correct information and development is coordinated with other functional groups. Manages project portfolio in Salesforce.com and ensures information is correct and up to date.
• Develop new technologies to support current and future needs of the business. Indentify new technology opportunities and manage Technology projects through Stagegate process.
• Effectively coach, motivates, and empower the Kunshan team for maximum group effectiveness. Determine opportunities for training and further education to increase capability of engineers and scientists.
• EHS Responsibility, follow the company EHS regulation, process and SOP instruction, get the EHS training and pass the evaluation before on-board, use and store the Personal Protection stuff. Report the EHS accident and cooperation on the investigation, take first aids and response action refer to the EHS policy. Take charge of Lab safety responsibility, ensure the effective implementation of EHS procedures in Lab.
MS minimum preferred in: Polymer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
• At least 5 years R&D and/or applications technical service experience in industrial tapes with at least 2 years managing industrial R& D or demonstrable leadership skills.
• Demonstrated understanding of tape technologies, applications and markets
• Demonstrated competency in basic statistics and DOE
• Strong analytical skills, highly motivated and quick learner
• High energy self-starter
• Ability to work well in a team based environment effectively communicating among other regions.
• Self-motivated, assertive, initiates and drives value-added projects to successful completion
• Strong verbal and written communication skills – Detail oriented
Must possess excellent leadership and coaching skills
English is essential