When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.And we're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.The Team
Our Legal team is crucial to ensuring that we are able to deliver on key projects and initiatives, and on our ambitious growth plans. As we continue to grow in the Asia- Pacific Region, we are looking to expand the team with a senior hire. The role will be based in Hong Kong and will be primarily responsible for legal and regulatory matters for our Hong Kong and Singapore businesses along with any other new markets that we may expand into in the region. You'll be responsible for providing strategic advice to the country businesses, partnering closely with the GM of those countries and his management team and be supported by a fantastic team in our UK HQ.Responsibilities
- Work closely with the London team and other international members of the legal department but also supported by external counsel, you will be primarily responsible for implementing our regional legal strategy and providing advice in relation to all commercial, corporate, marketing, litigation, regulatory and policy matters in the APAC region
- Work closely with the Regional Employment Counsel who will be primarily responsible for external and internal employment issues in the region
- Be the primary point of contact for the business in the region and will advise on a wide array of legal and regulatory matters, including commercial deals with restaurant and other business partners, leases and licenses for our Editions kitchens, strategic advisory matters, marketing campaigns, privacy and consumer protection issues
- Be responsible for monitoring, reviewing and assessing laws and regulations providing timely advice regarding their implications to Deliveroo and its operations in the region
- Work with the London based corporate team on various internal and external corporate and compliance matters.
- Need to understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Deliveroo's ever expanding business as well as pro-actively identifying what's coming around the corner and mitigating legal risks
- Be an effective business partner to the business - in particular the country managers, operations teams and product teams,on key initiatives across the region, providing high quality legal advice in a practical and commercially focussed way that reduces risk, resolve issues and maximises the opportunity for the business to deliver on its goals
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel to handle contentious matters and achieve regulatory and policy objectives
- Work hard but have a lot of fun doing it!
Life at Deliveroo
- Significant and relevant post-qualification commercial or corporate related experience (at least 8 years PQE plus) at a leading law firm or in-house (in-house experience at a similar fast growth tech company would be very advantageous)
- Excellent academics and training, commercial and pragmatic judgement
- Be comfortable dealing in ambiguity with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to bring exceptional business judgment and creativity and to have a can-do attitude and demonstrate strong initiative in a rapidly growing, fast-changing environment
- The ability to multi-task, effectively prioritise and able to function effectively whilst showing a good sense of humour.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure, react quickly, think on your feet and make quick decisions
- The ability to simplify and effectively communicate complex legal or business principles in a manner that can be easily understood by your business colleagues
- Excellent oral communication skills so that you can effectively interact with both internal and external contacts
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Other relevant languages are a plus
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we're always looking for new ideas and we're very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.