- Job Posting Title - Linux Systems Engineer II-IN
- Job Description Summary -
A Linux System Engineer is a system owner and responsible for creating automation to take full advantage of Red Hat Satellite
, Spacewalk, Mirrors, and the Red Hat Update Infrastructure (RHUI)
. They will be responsible for working towards the next generation in patching solutions while contributing to the architectural design of our global patching platform. This includes developing architectural frameworks for system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts while analyzing systems and performing usability testing to enhance scalability and meet security as well as compliance requirements.Do you want to be part of the Rackspace patching revolution?
Are you looking for the opportunity to implement the next big patching innovation, write scripts for automation and take full advantage of Red Hat Satellite, Spacewalk, and the Red Hat Update Infrastructure (RHUI)? If so, then we'd like to offer you a challenge to implement the next big thing for patching innovation and automation solutions. At Rackspace , you have the opportunity to be part of the next generation in patching solutions development. We are currently looking for a high-level Linux Engineer that can contribute to the architectural design of our global patching platform. In this role you will collaborate to develop architectural frameworks for system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts. You will analyze systems and perform usability testing to enhance scalability and meet security requirements.
We are looking for a high-level Linux Systems Engineer who wishes to take their career to the next level by joining our patching team. Rackspace's unique culture allows Rackers to grow and develop technically while working at a company that encourages creativity, mentoring, and knowledge sharing.In this role you will:
You will work with the following technologies every day:
- Be responsible for cradle to grave possession of multiple systems that are critical to ongoing success of Rackspace and Fanatical Support.
- Identify the gaps and needs for Red Hat Satellite, Spacewalk, RHUI, and other patching requirements.
- Implement automation to streamline workflow to minimize manual efforts.
- Be responsible for staying aware of business issues as they impact overall project plans.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of hardware, software and networking systems.
- Analyze systems and market trends to determine business requirements.
- Ensure completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance.
- Be responsible for keeping informed of the latest, relevant technologies.
- Follow and execute Rackspace change management by evaluating changes using RPN methods and develop MOPs for changes.
- Facilitate Root Cause Analysis sessions.
- Red Hat Satellite
- OracleSQL and PostgreSQL
- Perl and Python
- Security Administration
- Scripting & Automation
- Self-Service Tools
Guru (Preferred) Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience with Red Hat Satellite, Spacewalk, RHUI, or other Unix patch management systems.
- RHCE level knowledge of RHEL 6/7, CentOS and Ubuntu.
- Hands on technical experience deploying and supporting MySQL and Apache in a large enterprise environment.
- Good working knowledge of scripting & automation.
- Data Analysis and reporting skills.
- Bachelor's degree, or relevant experience, in business or computer science.
- Working knowledge of clustering, SAN, and networking.
- Requires 5-7 years experience as a System Engineer.
- Knowledge of MIS objectives and strategies.
- Moderate technical knowledge in technology methodologies, design, and implementation.
- General analytical and design skills at multi-product/multi-environment
- 3+ years of hosting experience involving Apache and MySQL environments.
- 3+ years of customer support experience.
- 5+ years of Red Hat Satellite, Spacewalk, or RHUI experience.
- Experience with Highly Available Linux Clusters.
- Linux Certifications are highly preferred.
- Advanced understanding of firewalls and load balancers is a plus.
- Someone excellent with RHEL 6/7.
- Someone excellent with Satellite, Spacewalk, and/or RHUI.
- Recent experience interacting with APIs via scripting or programming.
- Ability to automate and have good understanding of scripting and automation tools.
- Ability to embrace what our customers are looking for instead of pushing for more flash.
- The ability to document to a high standard.
- A firm understanding of PCI requirements and the auditing process.
- This person should be focused and proactive to think outside the box to meet customized requests requiring complex automation.
- Remain aware of business issues as they impact overall project plans and take action as needed.
- Familiarity with Debian based systems.
We accelerate the value of the cloud during every phase of digital transformation. By managing apps, data, security and multiple clouds, we are the best choice to help customers get to the cloud, innovate with new technologies and maximize their IT investments. We have been honored by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor and others as one of the best places to work. Join us on our mission to build the world's best technology services company.
More on Rackspace
Rackers aren't all alike. We look different. We think uniquely. We are from many places and our beliefs & backgrounds vary. But, being a Racker - a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission - is what connects us all. Rackers are encouraged to bring their whole self to work every day, as we know that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers & communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.