As a Software Development Manager on the Productivity Applications team, you'll have the opportunity to lead teams building world-class web applications and platform services that provide messaging and collaboration tools for customers worldwide. This role will be part of a team that has a strong, passionate engineering culture and proven track record of writing high quality software by using the best engineering practices in the industry. You will have the opportunity to work on highly distributed, high volume transactional systems that use a variety services and processes. Primary Responsibilities Include:
Required Skills and Experience:
- Manage a software engineering team on projects of moderate to large size and complexity.
- Responsible for code quality and delivery rate of your development teams.
- Must be able to assess as well as assist in coding when needed.
- Ensures projects are completed on time and according to corporate quality standards.
- Facilitates communication upward and across project team including project status, justifications for variances, and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives.)
- Organizes project through development of a Project Plan. Ensures implementation of the product satisfies the product specifications. Product architecture and implementation is maintainable and extendible to accommodate future development and maintenance.
- Ensures that documentation gets appropriate level of technical review support, testing meets project requirements, and appropriate development and corporate procedures are followed.
- Manages personnel activities of staff (i.e., hires, trains, appraises, rewards, motivates, disciplines, recommends termination as necessary.)
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering, or Computer Science from an accredited institution required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of software development leadership experience with 10 years overall experience in software development projects.
- Proven experience in leading software product development projects
- Excellent organizational, leadership, decision making, and communication skills.
- Experience with Agile methodologies (Scrum, XP, Lean, Kanban, etc.)
- Experience with development and engineering principles, including code coverage, test-first programming.
- Able to evaluate for code readability, documentation, understanding of revision control systems (git)
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment concepts
- Experience with Python and Java
- Familiarity with Internet email protocols (POP, IMAP, SMTP) and email architecture
- Experience with anti-abuse systems, processes and procedures
- Experience using a configuration management system (Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience working with a large-scale system (1000+ servers)
- Experience with relational databases (preferably MySQL)
- Experience with non-relational databases (preferably Redis, Cassandra and Solr)
- Experience with message brokers such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience with Linux logging services like Syslog-ng and Flume
- Web hosting experience using NGNIX or Apache
- Experience with use of container managements systems such as Docker and Swarm or Kubernetes.
We accelerate the value of the cloud during every phase of digital transformation. By managing apps, data, security and multiple clouds, we are the best choice to help customers get to the cloud, innovate with new technologies and maximize their IT investments. We have been honored by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor and others as one of the best places to work. Join us on our mission to build the world's best technology services company.
More on Rackspace
Rackers aren't all alike. We look different. We think uniquely. We are from many places and our beliefs & backgrounds vary. But, being a Racker - a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission - is what connects us all. Rackers are encouraged to bring their whole self to work every day, as we know that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers & communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.