Head of OperationsWhy Deliveroo?
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We're a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.Purpose of Job:
The Operations function is at the heart of the business; we ensure a seamless delivery service for customers, from start to finish. This means end-to-end ownership of two operations flows: the rider's end-to-end experience in fulfilling every order, (as well as the entire lifecycle for the rider from recruiting, performance management, incentives, supply and demand planning) and the customer experience and service level delivery.
The Head of Operations owns the most important item in our P&L and manages the tradeoff between our operations cost versus the quality of service levels we provide to our customers and restaurant partners. At the same time, he/she would own the customer care service we provide to our stakeholders during and after each order.
This role is about helping our UAE market achieve the step changes required to become the world leader in food delivery. It demands an analytical, people-centric, and entrepreneurial leader with a track record of managing large teams.What you will be doing:
What skills you'll need:
- Overseeing the front-line operation for the UAE - understanding, analyzing and driving our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels. Along the way, you'll ensure we have enough riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support they need.
- Using analytics to build a platform that can sustainably scale - understanding what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of our live operations, and what we need to build now for the future.
- Managing the Rider Ops - you'll be overseeing a team and leading the charge to ensure operational metrics are hit. This will involve mentoring and developing the team managers and nurturing an environment where the management team can excel through encouragement and empowerment.
- Balancing cost priorities versus service level delivery - constantly manage demand and supply planning to ensure we are able to deliver top service level to customers and restaurants while maintaining a sustainable level of costs to the business.
- Own and explore modes of delivery to enhance the scope of delivery - assess and determine our ability to expand geographic areas, hours of operation, a maximum distance of delivery per order, modes of delivery (e.g. vans or cars), or other innovative new ways to expand our service while maintaining our cost level and ride proposition.
- Leading the local strategy - taking the company's vision and interpreting this to the local market, ensuring we're constantly evolving, innovating, and prioritizing the right projects to meet business needs. Set a clear mission for your team and deploy strategies focused to meet these goals.
- Coaching and leading our people - working with the heads of departments and their teams to give them guidance and direction.
- Collaborating with the product, procurement, and other HQ central departments - working with all the supporting departments to ensure the UAE market has their needs catered for, and are coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes, and strategy.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement - e.g. improving the design of delivery zones, reviewing team structure and job responsibilities, optimizing the flow of rider comms (for support and in the rider communities), reviewing efficiency in fleet staffing/fleet payment structure, etc.
We are looking for someone with at least 10 years of operations management, or finance / consulting experience, with experience of managing large, multi-cultural teams. You'll also need to be:
Benefits and Diversity
- Inquisitive, curious, and ready to challenge the status quo in a very fast-paced working environment.
- A confident critical-thinker that can jump into different problems and come up with tactical recommendations.
- Driven by impact and want to make a change now - this is about prioritising correctly, making constant, quick iterations in real-time to improve the business.
- Happy doing some number-crunching - it's important to be able to quickly identify issues, inefficiencies, and how big these might be. You'll need strong problem solving and analytical skills with great attention to detail.
- Experienced in hiring and building great teams on a large scale.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, whilst keeping calm and composed at the same time (particularly during a crisis).
- Confident in your communication skills with the ability to influence stakeholders across the organisation.
- Strong enough with stats and excel to separate the signal from the noise (as a lot of what we do is tested against the real world straight away).
- Fluency in English is a must, Arabic language skills are an advantage
- 25 days of Annual Holiday Leave
- Work visa
- Comprehensive medical insurance (for employee only)
- Annual home flight ticket (for employee only)
- Free Deliveroo Plus - Free delivery and access to special offers
- Maternity & Paternity benefits
- End of year parties & regular social events
- An extremely fun team to work alongside!
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up's around.