When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.And we're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.The Role
The Director of Global Ops Strategy is responsible for operationalising our ambition to become the definitive food company by being an expert in how our delivery network operates and using that knowledge to understand how changes within it impact all three sides of our marketplace.
In this role you'll be finding solutions to some of the toughest and most exciting operational questions we must answer at Deliveroo. You will be responsible for designing our operating model and driving major cross-functional projects (or leading the Operations workstream on them) to roll out new customer offerings. You'll be leading a team of dynamic managers and associates, and report to the Director of Global Delivery Ops.
What you'll be doing
- Drive innovation that will enable our network to become even more efficient including through running trials and working closely with our Product teams on roadmap prioritisation, as well as feature design and roll-out
- Work with functional ops leads to craft our mid to long term strategy, e.g What should our fleet strategy be? How can we differentiate our rider proposition when we compete on an order-by-order basis during our busiest times?
- Represent ops in cross-functional task-forces e.g. workforce on improving our ways-of-working with QSRs (quick-service restaurants such as KFC) to improve customer experience outcomes
- Work with central and local teams from consumer to care to deliver major ops change projects
- Story-teller - communicates complex ops issues in a digestible way
- Customer-centric - puts the customer at the heart of operational design
- Strategic, yet pragmatic - is able to 'think big' and to ensure changes are ambitious but achievable
- An innovator - someone who finds problems and is infectiously curious and both willing and able to innovate away from the status-quo
- Logical, structured and data-driven - uses logic and data to prioritise and drive change
- A great manager - genuinely cares about team-members' development and will invest heavily in this
- Able to keep many plates spinning - can stay on top of a wide range of areas and projects, giving most attention to those that need it without neglecting others
- Adaptable with a can-do attitude - is positive and proactive, and energised by working in a fast-paced environment characterised by constant change
Life at Deliveroo
- Experience in operating model design and innovation
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience (top-tier consulting firm, fast-growing / innovative business)
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we're always looking for new ideas and we're very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company's success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up's around.