When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We're a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.The Role
We are looking for a Head of Grocery to join the team. This is a rare opportunity to become a critical leader within a key business unit. The desired candidate will be a great senior operator with responsibility for growing a significant portion of Deliveroo's revenue. Your role will be commercially focused, however you will work cross-functionally with teams including Operations, Marketing and Product to ensure success.
In this role your key responsibilities will be to:
- 1) Execute the strategic vision and develop the operational plans for ODC across Italy
- 2) Overall ownership and management of the P&L to ensure we hit revenue and profit targets. Achieve financial and growth targets with an understanding of how to-trade off commercial, marketing and operational levers
- 3) Own the quarterly planning process and work with the HQ Strategy & Finance team to develop accurate forecasting, monitoring and reporting
- 4) Work closely with the Key Accounts and Marketing & Merchandising functions to develop a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact the business and how to optimise for growth
- 5) Liaising with our Operations and Marketing teams to drive efficiencies, improve customer outcomes and accelerate revenue growth
- 6) Work closely with the New Businesses leadership team and other groups at Deliveroo to deliver high-impact projects
The role requires a strategic mindset, strong analytical skills and management experience with a track record of exceeding financial targets as well as:
Life at Deliveroo
- Background 3-5 years working in commercial focused roles with P&L responsibility.
- Have a vast track record of successfully growing performance through effective trading of as well as delivering on budget and against a long term strategy.
- Deep understanding of P&L statements and an ability to trade-off between line items.
- Commercial & Marketing Acumen - deep knowledge of industry trends, competition, best practices, and other factors that affect profitability and business success. Able to rapidly understand how our business operates, makes money and sustains profitable growth
- Executional Excellence - you've achieved clear customer, commercial and financial results with a strong resilient entrepreneurial spirit
- Customer Obsessed - understand and connect with our customers. Believe in our ability to create services and products which address this and have the customers best interest at heart
- Tactical & Strategic - able to 'think big' as well as execute 'on-the-fly' via understanding the dynamics, interdependencies and implications of decisions.
- Comfortable with Ambiguity & Autonomy - happy to be pointed at problems and work out how to solve them. You don't require micro-management to be successful - you have a can do / will do attitude
- Stakeholder Management - engaging, informing, and gaining the support of various stakeholders. Taking time to collaborate and build relationships; earning the respect and trust of others within the organisation through strong emotional intelligence
- Resourceful - constantly look for creative ways to make the most of the resources we have. Throw tenacity, brainpower, teamwork and collaboration at problems, not money and extra heads. Think like an entrepreneur
- Upbeat, confident & high energy - you bring freshness, energy and passion into the team. Help create a working environment that is unique, spawns new ideas and is enjoyable for the other people involved
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we're always looking for new ideas and we're very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare.
We offer to all our employees:
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- BIG Friday lunches - Deliveroo'd to the office of course!
- Gym and other allowances to counteract all the amazing food!
- Have a real impact on the company's growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up's around.