When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 8years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 8 years and we operate in 12 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.About the Role:
The Deliveroo Enterprise Technology team conceives, designs, builds and sustains the IT services powering Deliveroo's internal teams globally, as we transform the way customers eat. We continually drive service improvements and love to automate everything we can on our journey towards reliability.
As an Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for proactively improving our End User Computing environments, facilitating delivery of business projects and providing feedback and support to adhere to Service Levels. Your support, systems engineering and automation skills will be challenged and appreciated daily. What You'll Be Doing:
- Be an advocate representing individuals and groups of users to ensure our fellow Deliveroo colleagues receive the best possible IT experience.
- Engage in improving the whole lifecycle of IT End User Compute services-from inception and design, through to engineering, deployment, with primary focus upon reliable operations.
- Resolve operational incidents and requests rapidly and proactively improve our diverse environments to avoid & mitigate incidents. Domains include cloud-based infrastructure, AWS, SaaS, support tools, configuration management, automation, Identity & Access Management, Single Sign-on and typical digital workplace apps.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring indicators such as availability, ticket trends, and overall service health against SLOs.
- Optimise systems sustainably through mechanisms including Python automation and API self-service, and evolve services by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Create and maintain quality documentation and records.
- A proven track record of success as an IT Operations Engineer
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a sense of ownership
- Driven, self-starter without requiring close supervision, collaborative, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a dynamic organisation.
- Recent non-trivial coding experience with confidence in at least one programming language - preferably Python.
- In-depth engineering experience with some of the following technologies:
- Google Workplace (formerly G Suite) Administration and Google Cloud Identity, including user management, devices, applications.
- Mac OS, Chrome OS, Windows, Linux
We're also interested in...
- Knowledge of Data security and identity
- Extensive troubleshooting experience (including when under pressure)
- Experience of successfully working in a technology-led business.
- Exposure to any of the following:
- ZenDesk / ServiceNow / Looker / Data Studio
- Jamf/InTune / Git
- Experience in creating insightful dashboards
- Exposure to Agile, DevOps, SDLC, ITIL and SRE.
- Relevant higher education and professional certifications