Staff Software Engineer, Experimentation PlatformWhy Deliveroo?
Why Deliveroo? When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We're a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.And we're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We're a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.The Role
At Deliveroo we're always experimenting. We have hungry customers, eager riders, and busy restaurants in 12 countries and over 200 cities and giving them what they want and need involves continually testing new ideas. Whether we're working to improve our restaurant recommendations or looking to find a more efficient algorithm for routing our drivers, experimentation helps us make the right decisions for our users.
The Experimentation Platform team are building a platform to improve and scale the way we run experiments at Deliveroo. This team is a close collaboration of software engineers and data scientists.
People in our team utilise a variety of backend technologies to build scalable products and design complex distributed systems. You could be a good fit to join us if you are comfortable working with unfamiliar codebases and have a strong knowledge of data engineering, and you are passionate about experimentation.
We're looking for Staff Software Engineers who are experienced in leading projects, taking accountability from start to finish, with full in-team ownership over the technical roadmap. You should be a strong collaborator with a keen interest in mentoring and coaching other engineers or teams.Our skills
We need skilled software engineers who enjoy solving infrastructure problems with code. We don't expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
Benefits and Diversity
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- Professional experience writing infrastructure services and applications in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Go, Scala)
- Experience in leading and taking accountability for projects
- Understanding of the infrastructure necessary for experimentation
- Ability to coordinate technical changes across multiple teams and engineering groups.
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda)
- Experience with distributed services and event streaming (we use Kafka)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use Terraform)
- Experience with SQL (we don't need you to be an expert, but you need to be willing to understand and craft some more complex analytics queries when needed)
- Experience with data processing pipelines (we use AWS Step Functions) and stream processing (we use Flink)
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience with managing databases, caches and message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis)
- Ability to work with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.